Skip to main content

How Not to Market a Product on Facebook: Lessons Learnt

Deanna Proach, the author of "Day of Revenge" shares her experiences with us.

''Over the last year, since the release of my book "Day of Revenge", I've learnt that Facebook is better used for networking than for marketing. That's why it's called a social networking site. Yet, many business owners--including authors--use Facebook to promote their products.

There is no written rule saying that people can't promote products and services on Facebook; they do it all the time. Although, when it comes to marketing, Facebook is very tricky. If you do one--or two--things wrong, you will offend people. Sometimes, that can lead to heartache. It happened to me last year.

As a new author, I didn't know how to use Facebook as a marketing tool. I posted links to every guest post, review and Internet Radio interview on my wall. At first, people were thrilled to see the cover art and to see that my dream of becoming a published author had finally come true. A few people even purchased a copy of "Day of Revenge". But, after a while people got tired of seeing endless posts on "Day of Revenge"--even though I have over 300 people on my friend list. I didn't mean to brag; that wasn't my intention, but I realized that some people no longer felt my enthusiasm. 

That wasn't the worst of it, though. After my second interview on Blog Talk Radio, I messaged people en mass--including those I didn't know--letting them know about my interview. Of course, I posted the link to my interview. Facebook now has an option where people can leave a conversation if they're not interested. But at that time, there was no such option. Two people wrote in the thread, threatening to take action against me if I did not remove them from the thread. All they had to do was unsubscribe so that they wouldn't receive anymore, the emails from Facebook in their inboxes. I had one friend who stood up for me and an argument ensued because they--the people who threatened me--would not give up the fight. Things got really nasty.

It got to the point where I had to delete the entire thread. Although I was thankful for my friend's support, I was incredibly humiliated because other people who I had known and not known were included in that thread. What on earth did they think about me? They probably thought I was some dumb loser. I don't believe any of those people actually thought that way about me. But I do believe those cyber bullies tried to make me feel that way. And they almost succeeded.

Thankfully the bullying ended quickly--my friend and I reported the two individuals--and things went back to normal. But, I learnt a hard lesson. Messaging people en mass a success story with the intention to promote my book is NOT the way to do it. I've come to learn that people don't want to be lumped together with other people they don't know. And some of them think I'm sticking my minor success story in their face--a mark of an amateur.

Last May, I created a Facebook page--separate from my personal page--that is dedicated entirely to my books, mostly to "Day of Revenge" since it's the only book I have published as of now. There, I post all of my ongoing promotional efforts.

I don't think it's a bad thing to post the occasional success story on your wall, but as I've learnt, it's not okay to talk about every single little review, interview and guest article on your wall. It's important to save your time and energy for the big things that do matter."

You can find "Day of Revenge" on Amazon.com.

Popular posts from this blog

A Super Funny Joke - The Boy And The Priest

A housewife takes a lover during the day, while her husband is at work. Unknown to her, her 9 year old son was hiding in the closet. Her husband came home unexpectedly, so she hid her lover in the closet. The boy now has company. Boy: Dark in here.. Man: Yes it is. Boy: I have a baseball. Man: That’s nice. Boy: Want to buy it? Man: No, thanks. Boy: My dad’s outside. Man: OK, how much? Boy: $250. In the next few weeks, it happens again that the boy and the mom’s lover are in the closet together. Boy: Dark in here. Man: Yes, it is. Boy: I have a baseball glove. Man: How much? Boy: $750. Man: Fine. A few days later, the father says to the boy, “Grab your glove. Let’s go outside and toss the baseball.” The boy say's, “I can’t. I sold them.” The father asks, “How much did you sell them for?” The son says, “$1,000.” The father says, “That’s terrible to overcharge your friends like that, that is way more than those two things cost. I’m going to

Earn Money By Becoming A BigRock Affiliate

About BIGROCK Affiliate Program The BigRock Affiliate program is an online marketing program where affiliates promote BigRock products to their friends, family, customers etc and are paid attractive commissions for every successful purchase. Once you sign-up, you will receive a URL from BigRock (http://.bigrock.in). This URL will be your website from where you can sell BigRock products and start earning Commissions. In case you already have a Website / Blog, all you need to do is place BigRock banners or text links on your website, blog, facebook/twitter page and drive visitors to your unique URL and earn commissions. What products can you promote? As an affiliate, you can sell all BigRock Products. The Products include: Domain Name Registration Website Hosting Email Hosting Do-it-Yourself Website Builder Tool Build-it-For-Me Professional Web Design Service Digital Certificates. You can Signup by following this direct link :  http://www.bigrock.in/affiliate

Locked Keys - Blonde Joke

A blonde walks into a gas station and says to the manager, "I have locked my keys in my car. Do you have a coat hanger or something I can stick through the window to unlock the door?" The manager gives the blonde a bent coat hanger. A few minutes later, he goes out to check on her. As her approaches the blonde working the hanger in the window, he notices another blonde inside the car, shouting "No, no! A little to the left."